One of the most popular accusations for online dating is frequent cases of mail order bride scams. However, why do only some people suffer from online dating scams while others manage to find true love online? The main reason is the knowledge of how to avoid scams online. If you don’t want to become a victim of online romance scammers, consideration of the following protection tips and truth about mail order brides is a must.
Tips on how to recognize romance scammers
You should know that romance scams have been the second most reported crime to FBI in 2019. If you don’t want to get into a mail order bride scam, you should know how to spot a person trying to cheat you. Here are some signs to hint you:
- Asking for money is the first sign of a scammer. And the range of reasons why this money is needed is incredibly various: from serious diseases of the closest relatives to the inability to pay for tuition. Most often, fraudsters claim money for emergencies, medical help, or tickets to visit you.
- A fraudster has excuses for any situation. Especially when it comes to video conversations or promises to visit you. People not interested in relationships will find lots of grounds why they can’t respond to a video call.
- Love confessions happen rather quickly. Usually, people need time to learn each other better and develop feelings, but fake brides won’t wait for long to express their “deep” feelings. It’ll happen rather early, even if she doesn’t know much about you.
- A scammer is trying to lure you off the mail order bride platform. Fraudsters do it to make you drop your guard. It’s easier to influence the victim in a new environment.
Mail order bride scam warning: how to avoid a trap online
Do you enjoy the mail order bride experience, but fear to be cheated has stuck in your mind? It’s enough to know a couple of things to feel more secure online:
- Never share personal information and additional contact details. It’s much more secure to interact on the mail order bride platform. When you leave the last one, you become more vulnerable, and scammers can squeeze out some important personal details. When they get enough information about your identity, it can be used against you.
- Never agree to send money. No matter how moving or serious the reason you’ll hear from your potential bride is, stay cold-hearted and think about all the pros and cons. If you come to the conclusion that you want to do that, use a gift card or wire money for this purpose. Never provide your card or bank account details to anyone. Even if your bride doesn’t benefit from this information, it can be stolen by criminals who look for how to fill out their pockets with cash.
- Prefer to interact with validated users. When a girl agrees to pass through the identity verification, there are smaller chances that she’ll act illegally.
- Use social media to your advantage. Real brides won’t have too many secrets, so you can easily learn some details about them from their profile descriptions and via online communication. Use this information to find a lady on popular social media platforms and analyze her account. If it’s not new, has many posts, friends, and followers, and you can see the same person in photos, sigh with relief and continue dating.
The number of online dating scams has increased by over 40% during the pandemic, and it’s twice more important to be aware of the ways how to protect yourself. People who blame mail order bride platforms for scammers have no idea that the number of happy couples who meet there is much bigger than the number of men cheated. Furthermore, these are women who more often become victims of dating scams, so men shouldn’t neglect a unique chance to meet a bride overseas being scared by someone’s nasty experience!